Which Qualities Make For A Great Sales Manager?
They wanted to identify the qualities that made the best managers great at their job. They found they are:
1. A good coach
2. Empowers team and does not micromanage
3. Creates an inclusive team environment, showing concern for success and well-being
4. Is productive and results-oriented
5. Is a good communicator — listens and shares information
6. Supports career development and discusses performance
7. Has a clear vision/strategy for the team
8. Has key technical skills to help advise the team
9. Collaborates across the organisation
10. Is a strong decision maker
Notice that being a top performer in the role they are expected to manage comes 8th.
Stop promoting your top salespeople into management. You usually lose a good producer and gain an awful manager
What do you think makes a great sales manager?