The B2B Sales Show EP 58: 21 Core Sales Competencies Based on 1.8M Sales Reps and Leaders w/ Lori Richardson
The top 10% of salespeople do this thing 304% more than the bottom 2% of salespeople.
Before I tell you what it is, I want to geek out a little bit about data. We’ve got something like 30 years worth of data from 1.8M sales reps and leaders that give us unexpected insights into what makes a salesperson.
It isn’t gender. It isn’t even previous experience...
The best predictors of whether a potential new hire is going to succeed in sales can be found in 21 core sales competencies.
(Oh, and that thing that the top 10% do is listen.)
I’m Lori Richardson, President of Women Sales Pros and Founder and CEO of Score More Sales. On this episode, I’m joined by the executive producer of The B2B Sales Show, James Carbary, to talk about the 21 core sales competencies that make for success in selling.
What we talked about:
- Why hiring based on 21 core competences produces a more diverse sales team
- Attributes that are trainable and attributes that aren’t
- Lori’s eighth grade teacher who actually used a megaphone on her students
- The will to sell matters way more than tactical skills from a hiring viewpoint
Check out this resource we mentioned during the podcast:
- The Harvard Business Review article: Experience doesn’t predict a new hire’s success
You can find this interview and many more by subscribing to The B2B Sales Show on Apple Podcasts.