Accepting a job while waiting on an offer

I am getting laid off from my current job shortly and am job searching. I have a great opportunity that the offer should come in tomorrow, but it will require me to move half way across the country. I'm waiting on another opportunity that may not come in for another week or so but allows me to stay remote. Is it poor form to accept this offer while waiting on the other and if it comes in, I back out?

๐ŸŽ™ Interviews/Podcasts
16
antiASKHOLE
Arsonist
6
Account Executive
Take the offer. It is acceptable to back out of something else comes along. You owe them nothing other than a thank you.
Sunbunny31
Politicker
6
Sr Sales Executive
Can you delay your acceptance of the first offer for a week in order to consider it? Moving across the country is a big deal, and I wonder if they will give you some time to consider it if you ask.

Some other questions, mostly for you to consider:

Would you really take that offer if the other one doesn't come through?

Is it worth it to you to potentially burn bridges if you accept the offer immediately but then back out?
BlueJays2591
Politicker
1
Business Development Manager
I'll try to delay a week. I would take the offer in a heart beat but this other job allows me to stay here. That's the only thing holding me back from it. I would hate to back out because it's unprofessional but moving to a new and way more expensive area with the economy the way it is makes me nervous.
Sunbunny31
Politicker
2
Sr Sales Executive
Itโ€™s a big decision! I hope they are able to provide you the time. Iโ€™d have recommended the time in any case, as a move is a big deal.
jefe
Arsonist
5
Head of Sales
I think itโ€™s best to avoid accepting and backing out if you can BUT you also need to take care of yourself. Weโ€™ve all seen so many companies rescinding offers latelyโ€ฆ.

@Sunbunny31 hit the nail on the head
SalesMama
Opinionated
4
Senior Account Executive
I think @Sunbunny31asked the right question here -- would you actually move and be excited about the first offer if the other doesn't come through? If yes, then I say take the bird in the hand. If no, then I personally wouldn't accept because it's not a job you want
Pachacuti
Politicker
3
They call me Daddy, Sales Daddy
Take the offer you have now. If something else better comes your way, take it. But don't hold your breath waiting for the 2nd oppt and potentially lose out on both.
SaaSyBee
Politicker
3
Sales Content Writer
Yes, it's poor form, but do it anyway. You'll kinda burn a bridge if you accept an offer and then reject it later, but if it's not a bridge you want to cross now, will you want to cross it later?

Personally, I've accepted offers and then didn't start at those companies. I know I couldn't work at those companies in the future, but they weren't my top choices anyway so no harm.
aiko
Politicker
2
Sr. Account Executive
Tell the other company that you have another offer and see if they are willing to bring up your timeline. It might actually work in your favor!
LordOfWar
Tycoon
2
Blow it up
I've backed out of an offer before, its not fun but you have to look after yourself first.
CuriousFox
WR Officer
4
Senior Account Executive
I think I've typed this sentence the most since I've been a member here.
LordOfWar
Tycoon
1
Blow it up
Who'd of thought we'd be helping people with their self-worth
Dallas_Knight
Big Shot
2
Strategic Account Executive
Same Position, ex-owl (company name removed) and have 2 offers. I accepted one but have 3 other companies I am expecting better offers from. Accept and say you need 2-4 weeks prior to start to get your mind and mental right
highperformingsales
Personal Narrative
2
VP of Sales
I would ask for time to consider and figure out the relocation logistics from the company that has made the offer. I would then approach the company with the offer pending and let them know that they would be your first choice. However, you have another offer you need to respond to and need to know within a day or two if they intend to extend an offer or if you are going to accept the other offer before it's gone.
Kosta_Konfucius
Politicker
1
Sales Rep
Take the offer, you got to look out for yourself. Especially over the past months how many offers got taken away due to budget cuts. Companies do it all the time
FinanceEngineer
Politicker
1
Channel Sales Director
You have to take the best job for you. You can leverage the offer with the other job. Thatโ€™s how you sell whatโ€™s best for you and get some extra cash from whichever you choose
4

Counteroffer for my job offer?

Question
7
5

Have you reneged on a job offer?

Question
6
What would you do?
ai
Sa
bo
+82
aiko , ย  SalesMama , ย  bomboclat ย  and 82 people voted
*Voting in this poll no longer yields commission.
10

Accepted offer, when to leave current job to get commission?

Question
10