Back
The War Room
Question
Post

Deal Splits?

I feel like deal splits are the equivalent to group projects in school where inevitably one party does all the other work, yet the other still gets credit.


I have an opp where part of the team is based in another country, so the account team for the other country was looped in as well. We are doing a 50/50 commission split, yet the other rep has not lifted a finger this entire process. The guidance I got from leadership was effectively "you two figure it out".


How have you successfully worked a split opp, and kept the other rep engaged?

10
salesnerd
WR Officer
+16
Head of Growth
Ugh, splits suck. You're right, usually it's one side doing everything and the other side getting paid. 

I'd recommend one of two things: 
1) Get the other person to do work on the deal. Assign them specific tasks with due dates and check ins to make sure they're actually doing them 
2) Get more than 50%, ideally closer to a % commensurate with the workload. You could work out an 80/20 if you think you're doing 80% of the work. You could ask the other person "what percent of the work do you want to do here?" and then hit them with the "okay, then that's the commission split!" 
BigMeech
WR Officer
+11
Coors Light Advocate
Smart. I like that.
salesnerd
WR Officer
+16
Head of Growth
Let me know how it works out for you! 
CadenceCombat
Tycoon
+13
Account Executive
good advice!
Feds_Watchin
Politicker
+4
Account Executive
So I had zero leverage being brand new at this company. A quite large Defense contractor that had just acquired another company along with the IT services branch of maybe one of the more recognizeable DIB companies there is was somehow buried in a Mid-Market patch. My manager goes to bat for me and they have a high 6/low 7 deal in the pipe that they don't want to jeopordize it. So for for FY21 I get 10% and the other individual gets 90%. It flip flops in 2022. The large deal nonwithstanding, I also had a $250k deal swiped away.
Cleopatra
Opinionated
+3
Regional Sales Executive
I can hardly stomach the thought of a com split. Knowing myself, I will tour guide the sales process and close it myself. Split for what!
Justatitle
Politicker
+7
Senior AE
Splits do suck for this exact reason however I have seen them work in certain situations. Channel AE works with a direct seller as an example 
Lambda
Politicker
+6
Sales Consultant
Learn from the opportunity and structure the deal for a split differently next time! 
4
✍🏼 Deal Out for Sig ✍🏼
Discussion
3
EOQ & I have refreshed my inbox _____ times today
+68
alecabral ,   BCD ,   BallerOfTheYear   and 68 people voted
*Voting in this poll no longer yields commission.
8
A deal you would unclose?
Question
9
7
Deal Superstitions
Discussion
9