Back
The War Room
Question
Post

How honest are you with your manager?

I'm not sure how honest I should be with my manager. Let me know what you think.

How honest are you with your manager?
Attached poll
*Voting in this poll no longer yields commission.
๐Ÿงข Sales Management
5
mcsalesperson1
Politicker
+3
Account Executive
Depends on who your manager is. My first manager was ride or die, always had my back. I could be open and honest since we were in it together. New manager is the complete opposite. He's not transparent. Documents everything for HR. Therefore I mirror how he operates.
Coffeesforclosers
Notable Contributor
+11
Director Sales and Market Development
Fine line, but honesty is best policy. I also bring problems with a solution to strategize with them on, not just problems. I run a couple teams and have some stand offs with multiple business leaders and not all turmoil needs to go to my Chief level boss. plus i would sound whiny as shit not settling these disputes or attempting to first. But im honest with 90% of what is really going on business wise and 100% personalย 
funcoupons
WR Officer
+10
Sales Advisor
I'm very honest/open. We're pretty much all like that here, including upper management. It's one of the things I appreciate most about working here.
MMMGood
Celebrated Contributor
+10
Senior Account Executive
Always politically correct...and totally honest 90% of the time. The other 10% is when it's best to just bite your tongue...and maybe log it under "reasons to listen to that next LinkedIn recruiter"ย 
CuriousFox
Arsonist
+10
Senior Account Executive
I was just about to say this. You peeps already know how I feel about transparency. I've also grown to realize sometimes it's best to keep your mouth shut, make a note, and move along.
MMMGood
Celebrated Contributor
+10
Senior Account Executive
Maturity in verbal discretion in a valuable skill for any professional, let alone a salesperson.ย 
brotato
WR Lieutenant
+8
Head of Sales
Just assume everything you tell your manager will be told to someone else. Expecting people to have discretion is the exception, not the norm, managers included.
2
Manager
Discussion
8
6
Manager
Advice
12
9
How transparent should I be with my manager?
Question
26