all these lay offs have me thinking about the pros and cons of signing a contract with an employer.
- you cant get laid off, and if they do get rid of you, they ether need to pay out your contract (massive severance) or your employer would need to present a "trade" to a new company.
- There is more incentive for the company to invest in you since they have you for a specific amount of time.
- You have incentive to keep your head down and not focus on other opportunities
- It could help you play more of a long game. instead of only focusing on decisions that effect the next 12 months
- it limits your ability to take advantage of other opportunities that come up
- If massive change happens you just gotta stick it out
- Companies could fuck with comp since they know you cant leave.
SO THE QUESTION IS:
what is the longest contract you would sign with your current company at your current comp?
EDIT: what unique stipulation would you make sure you put into your contact?