The War Room
Question
Post

Selling crypto for real estate????

Hello fellow war room warriors,


I'm facing a dilemma. I've been wanting to go into real estate for YEARS, and now I'm finally trying to make it happen next year. For those interested in hearing, I'm looking to get in by house hacking. For those who don't know, look it up. I'm talking owning property - none of that REIT or Fundrise stuff.


I have a nice chunk of money in crypto. I need to save up a lot of cash in the next year (need to make some serious commish to make it happen), but I'll also be investing a portion both into crypto and index funds. Yes I know, I'm well aware of the risk of storing cash needed in the short-term in assets - I'm doing it anyway but saving the majority in cash.


My problem is - if I need to sell off my crypto investments for the real estate, I'll have tons of FOMO :( I'm all about the long-term potential of crypto, but if I sell it off and go into real estate, then if/when I buy back into crypto my average will be far higher and my returns will be far diminished vs. if I held. That said - I do think real estate will really kickstart my wealth as a 25 year old.


I think real estate is the move, but it's hard for me to let go of my precious high-risk ultra-high reward asset :(


BTW for those interested - holding some BTC but got in quite late (average is 39K), going BIG on ETH as I'm in much earlier.


I'd love the perspective of my fellow war room investors!

🏠 Real Estate
πŸ’Ž Cryptocurrency
πŸ’Έ Investing
7
GrizzleMcThornBody
Politicker
+10
EVP - RevOps
When the government crushes crypto because it is effecting the authority of the national currency, you'll wish you had sold it.
ExtremeVibeChecker44
Praised Answer
+2
Inside Sales
When the government tries*. In the looooooong run crypto will win out, but it *is* a direct threat to the USD.

Eventually, you'll see countries competing for citizens the way states do now. You know how shitloads of people are leaving CA and NY? Now that more jobs can be done remote, you'll see more people leaving the US altogether. A record number of people renoucned their citizenship last year.

Real estate is also incredibly easy to see + tax, crypto is more nebulous, and the government is going to be taxing the rich more and more because of inflation + widening gap between rich and poor.

TL;DR - hold your crypto
CuriousFox
WR Officer
+13
Senior Account Executive
@ChepΒ is the crypto guru I refer to in here.Β 
SADNES5
Politicker
+6
Hittin' Dingers
No clue why you’re getting downvotes. Great post. What’s your opportunity cost if you leave it in, or take it out. Expected ROI on each. You can borrow against real estate… not many people will let you borrow against crypto.
ne
newsalesguy14
Politicker
+6
Account Executive
That's a great call... I can't purchase one whole bitcoin for 20% of the price and have other people pay off the remaining 80% until I own the whole coin. Great perspective.
AllBiteNoBark
Politicker
+9
Account Executive
Because people in here see crypto and immediately start crying about it
countingmyinterest
Politicker
+4
Account Executive
I own 15 units (used to own 23) and I'm 26. Most of my networth is in real estate with some in stocks and crypto with a SaaS investment thrown in here and there.Β 

Governmental risk is the biggest reason why I'm not pushing most of my NW into crypto. Couldn't you get a loan using your crypto as collateral and use that for down payment $?
ne
newsalesguy14
Politicker
+6
Account Executive
That's a good point. Does borrowing against it depend on the platform I'm investing and holding my crypto in?
countingmyinterest
Politicker
+4
Account Executive
Yeah, not sure what you're on but I know there are some platforms that you can borrow against. I'm using Coinbase to store all of mine so I can't really answer that.Β 
Show 1 more replies
braintank
Politicker
+6
Enterprise Account Executive
Real estate ya dummy.
barney2021
Big Shot
+7
Account Executive
Bricks and mortar!
ragnarlothbrok
Politicker
+7
Key account manager
Are you earning interest on your crypto? Eth should be getting 5.6% paid weeklyΒ 
ne
newsalesguy14
Politicker
+6
Account Executive
I'm getting 4.6% on ETH monthly. Where are you getting interest paid weekly?
ragnarlothbrok
Politicker
+7
Key account manager
Celsius πŸ‘πŸ» @newsalesguy14Β i think I get 10% on matic too
Show 3 more replies
3
Property Management and Real Estate tech sellers
Question
5
Best for Property Management and Real Estate?
+28
Rachet , Β  FlintIronstag , Β  Sandbagger31 Β  and 28 people voted
*Voting in this poll no longer yields commission.
11
Real Estate - Should I buy or should I wait?
Question
16
Should I Buy?
xe
Co
+51
xetine , Β  Mooney , Β  ColdCallHotCoffee Β  and 51 people voted
*Voting in this poll no longer yields commission.
10
Any real estate sales magicians in here? 🏠
Discussion
2